Thank you from your winner – Anastasia!

Students! Help us decide which scientists and engineers should take part in the next event, and you could win a £20 voucher. All you need to do is take 2 minutes now to judge these 12 sentences.

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. 

Oh wait, wrong notes…!

This letter goes out first and foremost to all the students I had the absolute honour to meet during this event, I had the time of my life chatting to you and reading your questions! I’m so honoured that you voted for me and I hope you’ve enjoyed these last two weeks as much as I did (which in case it wasn’t clear is TONS!). Of course, none of this would have been possible without the amazing team of I’m a Scientist and all the schools and teachers that supported this event in the best possible way. A MASSIVE shout out also goes to the brilliant scientists in my zone and all other zones, I’ve learnt so much from you (go ahead, I DARE you to ask me what a quark is!). Last but not least, many thanks to my team at King’s Forensics of King’s College London for always being supportive of all the crazy stuff I get myself involved with. 

One thing that I always believed in is that if you can’t explain your science (or anything really) in the simplest way possible, then you just don’t understand it well enough. And, as proven by the ingenious questions and conversations during this event, students are the best at challenging you to explain the very core of what you do! Coming to the end of my doctorate degree, where I will have to defend the last 4 years of my work in front of senior scientists, I think this experience prepared me for it better than anything else I’ve ever done.

If I can leave you with one note, to all the students asking about how difficult is it to be a scientist, or having doubts about whether they could make it, or even questioning whether they are ‘fit’ to be a scientist, all I have to say is be your amazing self. No one is born with infinite knowledge and you’ll always have to answer ‘I don’t know’ to a ton of questions – I definitely did during these past two weeks! At the end of the day, just go for it not because you’re certain you’re going to make it, but because the chances are always zero if you don’t at least try.

Enough with the cheesiness – I’m starting to get all emotional over here- and on to the fun part! I’m ready to start designing the forensic game I promised you and I’ll try to bring it to as many of you as possible! So, it’s see you soon, not goodbye. 

All was well.

Yours truly,

Anastasia

Posted on November 29, 2019 by modalex in News. Leave a comment